Thursday, January 22, 2009

Living Wills are a good thing to have

Living wills are always good to have. By creating a living will you will make it a lot easier for your family if something were to ever happen. Also, you get to make the choice rather than someone else.
Two years ago, my dad was burned real bad. They thought he would pull through, but his lungs were also badly burned. He was on a respirator from the time he arrived at the hospital. For eight weeks, he laid there suffering. Finally everything began to shut down in his body. The nurses talked to me several times telling me that since he didn't have a living well, I had to make the decision whether or not to pull him off of the machines. This was the hardest decision ever, and I had never had to decide anything so critical. Here I was thinking what if I tell them to pull it and he could pull through.
The doctors told me there was pretty much no hope. I sat there day in and day out trying to decide what was best for my dad. I didn't want to see him suffer, but at the same time, I was not ready to give up hope. So on September 3, 2006, the nurses told me it was time to make a decision. I was staying in a hotel room right across from the hospital. I went to my room and asked God to please help me make the right decision. I asked the nurse for one more day, and I went in the room and talked to my dad. I cried my eyes out and told him I needed a miracle. I told him I knew he was tired of suffering, but I wasn't ready to let him go. I wondered if he understood or could hear what I was saying.
On September 4, 2006 at 12:00 pm I went to see him. With convincing from my mom and other family members, they had convinced me that he had suffered long enough. I walked in the room to say goodbye, and he looked at me. After he looked at me the machines started going crazy, and he passed away with me right there in the room. This was the worst part of my life I have had to endure, and while it was painful watching my daddy die, I knew then that he must have heard me the day before. He knew I couldn't make that decision, so he made it for me. I feel like he waited to see me for the last time before he took his last breath.
So I encourage people to get living wills because you never know when something is going to happen, and it's really hard on a family member to make a decision like that about someone they love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment